After we finished our DIY Stacked Stone porch makeover, we decided it was time to add a little more curb appeal to the front. The way our front windows were placed left them looking out of proportion. My solution was to add some shutters! Here I am going to show you how they were created. Please keep in mind that you will need to create yours to size, so no dimensions are given with this tutorial.
As usual, my plans started in my head which meant I needed to get them onto paper in order for my husband to understand my thought process. Here is a little sketch of what I had in mind. I was aiming for a simple/classic style shutter.
I started with some pine 1×4 from Home Depot. I measured the length of the windows and then decided how wide I wanted them. I cut the 1×4’s as shown to fit my custom sizes. This is where your measurements will be different from mine. Keep in mind, you will want to make sure that your frames will accommodate 1×4’s across, so measure that BEFORE you start cutting your frame pieces.
You’ll notice I have two sizes, to fit the two different size windows.
Once all of the pieces were cut, I sanded down each individual board before assembling them using my Ryobi ONE orbital sander.
Lay them all out BEFORE assembling them to make sure everything is in the right place. There is nothing worse than having to take your work apart.
Once the frames are assembled, you are ready to attached the boards onto the back. I cut them 2″ shorter than the length of the shutter frames. Mark the center on the top and bottom of your shutter frames. Then mark the center on both ends of one of your cut 1×4’s.
Once the shutters are assembled, grab your favorite stain and apply a nice even coat to your project. I used Varathane Wood Stain in KONA by Rustoleum.
I let my stain set for 24 hours and then added this clear outdoor waterproof sealer. This part is crucial as these will be in the elements for years to come, you will want them to hold up.
I let the first coat dry per the instructions before applying the second coat. You can see in this photo, I just covered my paint tray and brushes with press and seal so that I could come back later and use it all again.
Once those dried completely, we hung them on the house! Based on the siding you have on your home you will want to decide how to install them. We have hardi siding so we used concrete nails and epoxy. If you have visible holes, you can either put a stained plug in the hole or just add stain and more sealer to cover them up.
We absolutely love how much this changed the look of our house. We have a couple more plans for the exterior, but we feel like we are so close to being finished. It’s been a long time coming.